Friday, August 21, 2026

False Teaching By Pastor Jack Hyles

2nd Timothy 2:15-16, “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.”

I love Brother Jack Hyles (1926-2001). He is (and always will be) my hero, friend and mentor of the faith. I had the privilege of attending Hyles-Anderson College from 1985 to 1993, which institution was founded in 1973 to train young people to serve God in full-time service. By God's grace alone, I thankfully graduated in 1993 with honors.

Dr. Hyles taught us preacher boys to be loyal to truth and principles, and not to men or institutions. Over the past 24 years of my website ministry, I have spoken my mind. I do not bite my tongue, as some would say. When my heart hurts, feels grieved or someone hurts my feelings, I start writing to find solace in the matter. God has given me the gift of writing, for which I am forever grateful. Granted, I do not consider myself an eloquent writer, but I do get the point across quite effectively, which I humbly think is the most important thing.

That all being said, I was listening to a Bible study today by Pastor Hyles titled, “Justice - Part 14.” In this study (a little after 18 minutes) he makes some disturbing statements that bothered me, simply because what he says is not true. He is teaching against the sin of gossip. Dr. Hyles says that we should avoid talebearers, lest they contaminate us. I agree with that teaching, but then he makes these bizarre statements:
The Bible, not one place in all this Bible, does it tell you to help the talebearer; not one place. Bible says help the drunkard. Bible says help the adulterer. Bible says help the thief. Bible says help the liar. Bible says help help the crooked, the dishonest. But not one place in this Bible; I dare you to show me one place in this Bible, where anybody is ever told to lift up the talebearer.
Dear reader, that is heresy! That is false teaching! This is no better than Pastor Steven Anderson saying that homosexuals are beyond the hope of the gospel, and God hates them with a passion, so we ought not share the gospel with them. Well, thank God that someone didn't take Steven Anderson's horrible advice, or else Frank and Anita Worthen never would have been saved decades ago (who were both former homosexuals).

I know that Pastor Hyles was 100% sincere when he made these statements, but dear reader, what he is teaching is nowhere found in the inspired Holy Bible. I triple-dog dare anybody to show me where the Bible says we are supposed to help (lift up) drunkards, adulterers, thieves, liars, the crooked and dishonest, but not talebearers. You cannot. It is nonsense. It is false doctrine.

I find this in the Old Testament...
Ezekiel 34:4, “The diseased have ye not strengthened, neither have ye healed that which was sick, neither have ye bound up that which was broken, neither have ye brought again that which was driven away, neither have ye sought that which was lost; but with force and with cruelty have ye ruled them. 
Psalm 145:14, “The LORD upholdeth all that fall, and raiseth up all those that be bowed down.”

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10, “Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour.  For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up.”

I find this in the New Testament...
Luke 14:21-23, So that servant came, and shewed his lord these things. Then the master of the house being angry said to his servant, Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in hither the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind. And the servant said, Lord, it is done as thou hast commanded, and yet there is room. And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.
We read in the New Testament...
Galatians 6:1-3, “Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself.
Does this not include the ungodly talebearer? I don't find any Scripture passage that says to “lift up” the drunkard or the adulterer, unless Dr. Hyles meant to restore a fallen brother or sister in Christ as Galatians 6:1 teaches. But talebearers must be restored too. No? They are sinners too. No? I find no place in the inspired Word of God where we are told to restore fellow saints who go into sin, except the talebearer.

I am not trying to be mean, unkind, or show up Dr. Hyles in any way, I am just earnestly contending for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints (Jude 1:3). If a man is right, he is right; If a man is wrong, he is wrong. What Pastor Hyles teaches in this Bible study about not lifting up the talebearer is strange doctrine.

The Bible teaches that by showing compassion toward people, in a world without love or compassion, we can make a difference for eternity. ...
Jude 1:22, “And of some have compassion, making a difference: And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.
Among those who are alienated from God, the godly are taught in this Bible verse that we handle them gently with compassion in hope of winning lost sinners to Christ; and that others, who being near entering into the very flames of Hell, may be warned of their present danger as we endeavour to save them with the Gospel. Yet so, that we do it in such a way as to abhor the wickedness and dishonesty, lest we be corrupted by their influence.

When Jesus sat to eat with sinners, He did so only in an attempt to preach the Gospel unto them. Jesus did not march in homosexual Pride Parades! Jesus didn't hangout playing a game of pool at the local tavern. Jesus was a godly man who abhorred and abstained from all appearance of evil, as so also should we. Jesus was a friend to sinners, but not a partaker of their evil deeds. John 7:7, “The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil.

I love and respect Brother Hyles, but I was bothered when I heard him preach this nonsense today. The talebearer is in the same sinking boat as the adulterer, drunkard, thief, liar and crooked sinner. As far as restoring one in the Lord's family who has gone into sin, the Bible makes no distinction between classes of sinners. Right doctrine matters!

Pastor Jack Hyles (1926-2001)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

False Teaching By Pastor Jack Hyles

2nd Timothy 2:15-16, “ Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth...