Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Here's Some Of My Banjo Playing

I wanted to take a break in this one blog from my preaching, to share some of my music with you.

I started playing acoustic guitar when I was 15 years old. My Dad bought me a used Takamine guitar for $50 from a local pawn shop. In the late 1980's. or perhaps early 1990's (I cannot remember), I bought a banjo and learned to play the song, Cripple Creek. But living in Chicago, before there was any internet, I lost interest quickly. I saw a man playing a saxophone in downtown Chicago, which inspired me to buy a Bundy Alto Saxophone. I paid $600 for it. I became pretty good with it, but again lost interest. It just wasn't my thing (even thought it was my thing...lol). I also can play the harmonica. At age 25, I started to learn to play the Pedal Steel Guitar in 1992. The steel guitar is my favorite instrument, which I am passionate about still today. I love the steel guitar!

Over the years I have learned to play the mandolin, Dobro, lap steel guitar, autoharp, electric bass, lute, 21 string harp, ukulele and other stringed instruments. I love the lap steel, playing Hawaiian music with it. I understand piano basic and can play basic chords. Anyway, without further ado, I recorded the song "Arkansas Traveller" last evening, and I hope you like it. I'm playing a Deering Golden Era banjo, recording through a Shute 57 microphone...

Arkansas Traveller
(Deering Golden Era)
(Deering Golden Era)
(Deering Calico)

The Golden Era cost me $4,376 (Fuller's Guitars in Houston, Texas, gave me a much appreciated 15% discount off of their dealer listed price of $5,149). Deering sells the Golden Era for $5,719). But to compare, I recorded the song "The Old Spinning Wheel" the other night with my $1,099 Deering Goodtime Special (a student banjo)...

The Old Spinning Wheel
(Deering Goodtime Special)

I may not keep the Golden Era. I am waiting for a Deering Calico banjo, to try it out. The Golden Era has a buzzing issue in the first string when I do pull-offs on the 2nd fret, which I made an audio recording of so you can hear the issue for yourself. For that kind of money, there shouldn't be any buzzing issues! So, I'll make a decision when the Calico arrives. If I want the Golden Era, I'm going to send it back and request a different one that doesn't buzz. One day at a time.

I also recorded the following song, "Mason's Apron," the other night on my Golden Era banjo. I'm using backing tracks that I purchased from Dave Hum's (1966-2012) family. Dave died at age 46 in 2012 of cancer. Dave is one of my musical heroes. You can watch Dave Hum's 219 YouTube banjo videos if you'd like. They bring me much joy! Music makes the world a better place.

(Deering Golden Era)

Lastly, I recorded 'The Old Spinning Wheel' with the Golden Era a couple nights ago. The previously recording you listened to, in this blog, was recorded using my Deering Goodtime Special (student banjo). ...

(Deering Golden Era)

I hope you've enjoyed hearing some of my music. It was in 2018 that I first discovered Dave Hum's videos on YouTube, and the rest is history (as they say). Dave's music inspired me, rekindling my old love of the banjo. I had never heard the banjo played in that way before, the way Dave plays it, and I knew in my heart that I wanted to play just like he does. This is the first song that I ever heard Dave play, and it made me cry how beautifully he plays starting at about 49 seconds into the video. My playing is still rough. I miss notes here and there. Lord willing, I plan to keep learning and picking the banjo, until death do us part...lol.

Dave Hum (1966-2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sadly, Barbra Streisand Won't Be Going To Heaven

1st John 2:22-23, “Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son. Whosoe...