Thursday, November 9, 2023

Our Future Plans Are All Fantasies

John 16:33, “These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

I learned a life-changing truth from Pastor Jack Hyles a few years ago. I learned that when we make future plans, they are all fantasies. That is, our future plans possess only positive ideas. By nature we don't include negatives when we plan for the future. The helpful sermon is titled: 'YESTERDAY'S FANTASY VERSUS TODAY'S REALITY.'

When we make plans for the future, we always think positive. Nobody plans for negatives, simply because we cannot see the future. Our plans includes our hopes and desires for good things, fun things and rewarding things. Nobody looks forward to the future with plans to suffer a crippling accident, the death of a loved one, a divorce or contracting a painful disease. Yet, these are the things which happen in reality. I hope you'll take the time to listen to the sermon by Dr. Hyles, because it will change the way you look at your life.

If you will learn to view the future with expectations that reality includes negatives, you won't be so let down and depressed when things don't go as planned. This has helped me. Our future plans should always be prefaced with the biblical attitude “God willing” or “Lord willing,” because we are not guaranteed tomorrow dear friend. Proverbs 27:1, “Boast not thyself of to morrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth.” James 4:14, “Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.” Life is so short!

Some of the bitterest Christians at one time were the most sincere people. It is because they are sincere that they became bitter when things didn't go as planned. The farther that the grandfather clock pendulum swings one way, the farther it will swing the other way. And the more sincere you are about a matter that it will turn out a certain way, the more bitter and disgruntled you will become if things go haywire. This is why I have learned not to build up expectations for the future. I figure that whatever happens will happen when I get there.

Have you ever gone someplace, like to an amusement park or a state fair, and you had a fun time; and so you plan for the next year ahead of time, planning it all out—what you're going to eat, the rides you will ride on, the fun things that you plan do to—but then when the time finally arrives, you were let down and disappointed because things didn't go exactly as you had planned and hoped? I am guilty of doing that, I admit.

So long ago I learned never to do that again. I just take each year, each event, each adventure as something entirely new, going with the flow and not allowing myself to build up any anticipations, hopes or expectations. Proverbs 13:12, “Hope deferred maketh the heart sick: but when the desire cometh, it is a tree of life.” The funnest times in my life were all spontaneous activities, totally unplanned.

And so that is how I live my life, moment by moment. The past is gone forever, so why worry and sulk over spilt milk? The future is not guaranteed by God, so why plan for what may never come? But today is ours, cash in hand, to spend it as we choose. I choose with Joshua to serve the Lord (Joshua 24:15). I choose to think, do and live righteously to please God.

The truth can be dealt with, but a lie cannot. Future plans are all fantasies, because they don't include any negatives; but real life always includes negatives. We would all be wiser to keep that in mind, so we won't be too down and saddened when things don't always go as we had hoped. Jesus is precious!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Don't Have To Be Afraid To Die

John 11:12, “And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?” Many people are afraid of dying. I was astonish...