Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Desiring The Things Of God

1st Corinthians 2:7-16, “But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory: Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man. For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.”

I love the inspired Word of God. Psalms 19:7-10, “The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes. The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.” Psalms 119:103, “How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!”

I love David, after whom I am gratefully named. David loved the Bible. The shepherd boy anointed king of Israel esteemed God's Word as being more valuable than gold (which is a very expensive precious metal). Think of your most tasty sweet delight that you enjoy eating, and David said the Bible is more desirous to his tastebuds than that! Wow, that is mighty delicious and pleasing!!! I fully agree with David.

I am snacking on some tasty Skittle as I am writing this blog. The state of California just banned the sale of Skittles because they contain titanium dioxide, a known toxic chemical which is harmful is large quantities. Titanium dioxide is a coloring agent used in foods. Yet, although I probably shouldn't be eating Skittles, they are so delicious that I am willing to take the risk. It's not just Skittle, Nerds, PEZ candies and fudge brownies all contain titanium dioxide. You'll also find another toxic ingredient, sodium aluminum phosphate, in nearly all baking goods at the store, which is used as a moisture-absorbing agent. If you are like me, you love tasty baked pastries and sweet delectable Skittles! Yet, God's Word is more sweet to my soul than Skittles!!!

Sadly, most people don't desire or cherish the things of God, let alone the deep things of God. I receive many emails from believers who are tired, weary and discouraged. I feel the same way oftentimes. It is in our human nature to go to the dark side. If a parent, friend or stranger praises but then criticizes us, we will naturally focus upon the criticism. It is in our sinful nature. I welcome emails from discouraged saints, because unlike most preachers, by God's grace I will take the time to write you back in love, sharing my own sufferings, losses and loneliness with you, and I will pray and do my best to climb out of the pit WITH YOU. Anybody who knows me knows that I take the time to write back, and do my best to help others. I am known for writing lengthy replies.

I take quality time to write people back for several reasons:
  1. Because I love Jesus, who is God, my Lord and Savior (John 14:15)
  2. Because I love people, all for whom Christ died on a cross (1st John 4:11)
  3. Because somebody needs to care (1st Peter 5:7)
  4. Because I have suffered much in life, and I use my suffering to help others (Hebrews 2:18)
  5. Because it is just the right thing to do (James 4:17)
  6. Because my web visitors appreciate it (Matthew 7:12)
  7. Because the people who write to me need to be loved (Jude 1:22)
  8. Because my words of comfort could save someone's life (Proverbs 25:11)
  9. Because we are all down in the valley at times in our life and need help (John 14:1-3)
  10. Because I love helping people (2nd Timothy 1:16)
  11. Because it is what Jesus would do (Matthew 5:48)
  12. Because so few people care nowadays and I don't want to be one of them (Lamentations 1:12)
  13. Because I am laying up treasures (rewards) in Heaven (Matthew 6:19-20)
  14. Because everybody is having a touch time (John 16:33)
  15. Because I enjoy sharing my heart with people (Proverbs 18:4)
Most people do not know what it truly means to suffer. When you've suffered—not for days, weeks, months or even years, but for decades—only then can you say that you know what it mans “to suffer.” I have suffered for decades. I know the inexplicable pain of betrayal and divorce. I know the pain of 17 years of inexplicable loneliness without a wife as a companion. I know what it feels like to suffer physically in constant relentless agonizing neck pain for 19 years, right next to my head. The pain is so bad oftentimes, that I involuntarily close my eyes to focus my mind upon my words. By closing my eyes it helps me to concentrate.

I know what it feels like to undergo two major neck surgeries with no one by my side, not a single soul. I wanted to die because I was so lonely. To make matters worse, the hospitals where I had both surgeries in California where incompetent and abusive on multiple counts. I have been through some horrifying traumatic experiences in my life, that I choose not to talk about because it is too personal and heartbreaking. I know the pain of soul of losing my wife, losing my home, losing my pets, losing nearly all of my personal possessions, losing my retirement for which I labored for decades to secure, et cetera. Divorce is like trying to take apart plywood; it cannot be done without ripping it to shreds, utterly destroying it!

As I mentioned, I receive many emails from distraught, depressed and discouraged believers. I love them all as my brothers and sisters in Christ. It could be said that the only difference between me and them is that I live in the inspired Word of God. I thrive on Bible preaching daily. They come to me because they know that I care. It is true that people don't care what you know, until they know that you care.

One of the reasons they know that I care is because for the past 21 years I have never made a single penny from all my ministry labors. I purposely decided back in 2002, when I began my website ministry, that I refuse to ever take any money for my work. One reason for that decision is because I want the world to know that my heart is not in this ministry to make money; but rather, because I love God, people and the truth. That is not to say that everyone who asks for donations is not sincere, but we don't know if they are just doing it for the money or not. No one can accuse me of doing my ministry work to make money, because I have never made any money, and I am humbly proud of that (in a world where everybody and their dog nowadays are begging for donations).

There is nothing in this world any more dear to me, besides my own biological family, ministry friends and my web visitors, than the things of God. I am often reminded of the words of the Apostle Paul in Philippians 2:20, “For I have no man likeminded, who will naturally care for your state. The faithful apostle was passionate about the things of God. He was zealous about preaching the Gospel of free grace, trying to convert lost hellbound sinners into Bible-believing Christians Paul's message was simple—we are all guilty sinners under the condemnation of God's Old Testament law, but God freely offers mankind a free gift of eternal life through faith in Jesus Christ.

Dear reader, do the things of God interest, excite and challenge you to serve God? 2nd Timothy 1:6, “Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands.” Everyone, regardless of who you are, has a gift from God. Sadly, most saints today (i.e., those who have been born-again by the Holy Spirit of God), couldn't have less interest in pursuing the things of God. There is something that everyone can do for God.

As an example: One of my ministry friends makes images to promote my website ministry. What saith the Scripture? Mark 9:41, “For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward.” I love that Bible verse and promise from God. This verse means that when I share sermons by Brother Lester Roloff (1914-1982). Pastor Jack Hyles (1926-2001), Pastor Harry Ironside (1876-1951) and other great soulwinning preachers, humbly said, I still will receive an reward from God, because they were serving Christ.

Dear reader, are you serving God today? Ecclesiastes 12:13-14, “Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil. ”
“To add anything to salvation other than the sacrificial death of Jesus on the cross is to say that His death was not sufficient payment for our sins.” —Dr. Curtis Hutson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why There Is No Love At Pensacola Christian College

Luke 7:40-47, “ And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on.  There was a certa...