Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Prayer Is The Most We Can Do

Luke 6:28, “Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.” 1st Thessalonians 5:25, “Brethren, pray for us.” 2nd Thessalonians 3:1, “Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you:” Hebrews 13:18, “Pray for us: for we trust we have a good conscience, in all things willing to live honestly.

We live in a fallen world. People get sick, they die, and another generation comes on the scene. There have been innumerable times in my life when someone told me about a loved one who died. We are all familiar with news of tragedies. A good friend of mine just went to Heaven a couple weeks ago.

My son-in-law felt some pain, went to the hospital, and found out that his gallbladder died 3 month ago! I didn't even know you could live with a dead gallbladder. I had my infected gallbladder removed in 2015. Anyway, my son-in-law had surgery to remove his gallbladder, but he now has sepsis infection, and our family is worried about him. 

Today could be the last day of your life or mine, or both. Proverbs 27:1, “Boast not thyself of to morrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth. So often it is easy for us to have the attitude that praying for someone is the least we can do to help them. But in truth dear reader, PRAYING IS THE MOST WE CAN DO!!! Prayer is not preparation for the greater work, prayer is the greater work! Prayer changes things!!!

We have heard much talk from the heathen world in recent decades about prayer as a "good therapy," but that is terrible! Ladies and gentlemen, prayer is effective because God is on the other end of the telephone line! The following worldly article evidences my point...

If you pray, you may be opening yourself up to some unknown benefits.

A study by Baylor University recently discovered that a person's prayers may or may not be answered depending upon his or her relationship with the divine. People who view God as a loving father figure are more likely to see events in their lives as “answers” to prayers.

Fortunately, prayer is far from an uncommon thing in the United States. According to Belief Net, 68.1 percent of Christians and 91.6 percent of Muslims pray at least once a day, if not more.

But there’s more than just answers that come out of prayer. There are physical, mental and social benefits that arise upon uttering words to God.

Here’s a list of eight things that you can gain from prayer:

    1. Faster spiritual growth
    2. Better moods
    3. Improved physical health
    4. More self-control
    5. Stronger personal beliefs
    6. Inspiration in hardship
    7. Better interpersonal relationships
    8. Increased creativity
SOURCE: 8 Reasons Prayer Is Good For You

WICKEDNESS!!! Dear reader, please notice that NOT ONE of the listed benefits of prayer mentioned above, say that God might actually answer our prayer!!! What lack of faith! What heathendom! What a crying shame!!! This is what Jesus meant in Matthew 6:7, “But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.” Yes, even heathens pray! NONE of the listed 8 things are Biblical. We pray for one reason, and ONLY one reason, which is that GOD EXISTS!!! God cares (1st Peter 5:7). The Bible exhorts us to prayer about every thing (Philippians 4:6).

Prayer is the most we can do for others. 1st Samuel 12:23, “Moreover as for me, God forbid that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you: but I will teach you the good and the right way:” Prayer is the most important thing we do each day, or don't do.

“We are too busy to pray, and so we are too busy to have power. We have a great deal of activity, but we accomplish little; many services but few conversions; much machinery but few results.” —Pastor R. A. Torrey (1856-1928)

Our time is running short here on earth. God willing I will be 55 years old on March 5, 2022. My friend Curtis Smale turned 57 years old on January 13th, 2022, and then died a few days later. Thankfully, Curtis is in Heaven with our dear Savior. April 2022 will be the 20 year anniversary of my website ministry for Jesus Christ. It seems like just yesterday! By God's grace I will continue. Without Jesus we can do nothing the Bible says (John 15:5).

As believers we need to pray without ceasing (1st Thessalonians 5:17). When we don't pray, we are telling God that we don't need His help, that we can go it alone. I sure need God's help, wisdom and protection every moment of my life; and so do you friend. The Bible teaches in 2nd Corinthians 5:7 that as saints we WALK BY FAITH AND NOT BY SIGHT. Life often doesn't make sense to us, and we cannot comprehend why bad pastors, lukewarm churches and corrupt Bible colleges continue to thrive in the world. But I assure you that they are not successful in God's sight—they are blind, naked and wretched (Revelation 3:15-17).

Too long I've laid me down to sleep, and prayed the Lord my soul to keep.
I should awake before I die, and realize time is passing by;
And rise and go and tell the lost, despite my plans despite the cost.
Too long I've laid me down to sleep, while multitudes about me weeps
And other cries of dark despair, for no one ever seems to care.
My life is short, and soon I'll stand, with sinner's bloods upon my hand;
Unless I wake before I die, and realize time is passing me by.

A preacher is only as effective for God as time spent in earnest prayer... 

“I would rather teach one man to pray, than ten men to preach; for one man who has learned to pray, can accomplish more for Christ than ten men that can preach.” —Pastor R. A. Torrey

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Is Backsliding?

Proverbs 14:14, “The backslider in heart shall be filled with his own ways: and a good man shall be satisfied from himself.” Do you know wha...