Monday, August 30, 2021

Dr. Bob Jones Sr. Chapel Sayings

Proverbs 13:20, “He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed.”

I love that Bible verse from Proverbs 13:20. There's an old adage attributed to Benjamin Franklin that goes: “He that lieth down with dogs shall rise up with fleas.” In other words, if one spends time with bad people, one will suffer in some way (often by becoming like said associates). Be careful who you choose as friends!

The great (or bad) thing is that you don't have to personally meet and hang around somebody to become like them. Case in point is Jesus Christ. As God's children we trust, love, know and follow Jesus, but we have never actually met Him. ...
1st Peter 1:7-9, “That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.”
That is so awesome! The Bible acknowledges that we are trusting in a Savior we have never met. Did you know that we get a special blessing for that? John 20:29, “Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.” Wow! I am glad that I can prove my love for the Father and His only begotten Son by believing (having faith) even when I cannot see Him. 

Repeatedly in the Holy Bible we read about the person with a wise tongue, or the lips of the wise. Proverbs 15:2, “The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness.” Proverbs 15:7, “The lips of the wise disperse knowledge: but the heart of the foolish doeth not so.” Proverbs 16:23, “The heart of the wise teacheth his mouth, and addeth learning to his lips.” Proverbs 18:15, “The heart of the prudent getteth knowledge; and the ear of the wise seeketh knowledge.”

Having said all that, Dr. Bob Jones Sr. (1883-1968) was a godly and wise man. Here are a bunch of his wise, Chapel Sayings:
  • It is a sin to do less than your best.
  • The door to the room of success swings on the hinges of opposition.
  • The acid test of our love for God is obedience to His Word.
  • Trust God as if it all depends upon Him, and work as if it all depends upon you.
  • The test of your character is what it takes to stop you.
  • The greatest ability is dependability.
  • The two biggest little words in the English language are the two little words "do right."
  • It is one thing to know there is a God; it's another thing to know the God that is.
  • A man is a fool who leans on the arm of flesh when he can be supported by the arm of Omnipotence.
  • What you love and what you hate reveal what you are.
  • Jesus never taught men how to make a living; He taught men how to live.
  • Do not ask God to give you a light burden; ask Him to give you strong shoulders to carry a heavy burden.
  • It is better to die for something than to live for nothing.
  • A Christian does good deeds, but just doing good deeds does not make a man a Christian.
  • Your character is what God knows you to be; your reputation is what men think you are.
  • You and God make a majority in your community.
  • True success is finding God's will for your life and doing it. Being faithful is being successful.
  • It is never right to do wrong in order to get a chance to do right.
  • Jesus said that He would be in the midst of two or three gathered in His name, but this does not mean that our Lord does not like to have a larger crowd.
  • It is no disgrace to fail; it is a disgrace to do less than your best to keep from failing.
  • The religions of the world say, "do and live." The religion of the Bible says, "live and do."
  • God will not do for you what He has given you strength to do for yourself.
  • Dying men have said, "I am sorry I have been an atheist, an infidel, an agnostic, a skeptic, or a sinner"; but no man ever said with his last breath, "I am sorry I have lived a Christian life."
  • The drunkard in the ditch has gone to the dogs. According to the Bible, the self-righteous man who thinks he doesn't need God has gone to the Devil.
  • When I was fourteen years old, I knelt by my dying mother's bed. She smiled at me through the death shadow on her face and said she was going Home. She asked me to meet her in Heaven, and I gave her my promise. Her body sleeps in a lonely cemetery in the state of Alabama. As I have sat by her grave and listened to a funeral dirge played by the wind in the pine trees nearby, I have said, "Mother, I will see you again someday."
  • Some people say I am dreaming. If I am, don't wake me. If this world were all, I would want my Christian faith. My faith hangs a rainbow of hope over the dust of my beloved ones and kindles a smile on the brow of my bereavement. This world is not all. There is a God. There is a Heaven. There is a Hell. I am playing a safe game. If there were only one world, I have already won. Since there is an afterlife, I win for two worlds. You don't have to take any chances with your soul. Don' take any.

Evangelist Bob Jones Sr. (1883-1968)

It is a shame and tragic that Bob Jones University (BJU) today has 100% departed from the godly beliefs and convictions of its founder in 1927. Dr. Bob Jones Sr. would have took a stick of dynamite and blown Bob Jones College to smithereens today, and he said so himself in 1945! Today's preachers don't stand anymore. The love of money has caused them to dip their sails, refrain from offending peers in the clergy, and letting the world go to Hell. Praise God for fiery preachers like Bob Jones Sr. who exposed infidels like Dr. John MacArthur, Pastor Marty Herron and Evangelist Ray Comfort! Right doctrine matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Is Backsliding?

Proverbs 14:14, “The backslider in heart shall be filled with his own ways: and a good man shall be satisfied from himself.” Do you know wha...