Saturday, August 29, 2020

The Bible Doesn't Teach Us To Pursue Feelings

2nd Corinthians 5:6-8, “Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord: (For we walk by faith, not by sight:) We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

The Bible commands us to pray (1st Thessalonians 5:17; Philippians 4:6-7). Not one passage tells us to look for answers to our prayers. We walk by faith and not by sight. We must pray and then trust God that He knows what is best. God hears every prayer, even the small prayers when we really don't feel like praying. God understands. To be honest, I don't feel like God answers my prayers. The most discouraging book I ever read was by Dr. John R. Rice, called: “Reasons For Unanswered Prayer.” After reading the book I felt like God would never answer any of my prayers, because I am too imperfect to live up to all those standards. 

I believe this. I am God's child and He knows what is best for me (1st Peter 5:7). God knows what I have need of before I even ask Him. The Lord said we don't need to pray long prayer, as the heathen do (Matthew 6:7-8). I am commanded to “pray without ceasing” (1st Thessalonians 5:17). So if I pray and God does seem to answer, it could many several things. Since I know there is a God and I believe He loves and cares about me, I must conclude that God is looking out for my best interests. Perhaps He has already blessed me, by giving me everything I need, so that I don't have to ask Him for anything. I think that is very true. Also, some of the things that I pray for, may not be God's desire for me. I do not know, therefore all I can and should do is trust in the Lord. Jesus said in Mark 11:22, Have faith in God.

I admit that it is very frustrating to me, as a believer, to pray and not see any results from God. But I don't go by my feelings, I go by God's promises in the inspired King James Bible! I keep praying for my needy web visitors. I pray for my corrupted Harvest Baptist Church neighbours. I pray for my dysfunctional family. I pray for my good God to give a redeemed sinner like me the wisdom to find a redeemed imperfect woman to marry. I pray for my ungodly leaders as the Bible commands in 1st Timothy 2:1-5. I believe that God can and does answer prayer when He wants to, but I do not feel like God will answer my prayers, because as far as I can tell He never does, but I am not supposed to act on my feelings, I am supposed to obey the Bible, and God told us to “pray without ceasing.” I have confessed all my sins to God. I am asking according to His will. All I can do is trust Him.

Nowhere in the Bible are we taught to pursue any type of "feelings" that we are saved. Our faith must be based upon the written inspired Word of God, and nothing else. We ought not seek feelings, because they can be deceptive. I have learned that feelings, for me, at least, took about 30 years, to where I could see the Holy Spirit in my life. Kindly, you need to forget about trying to "feel" anything, because that is not how salvation works. I never sought a feeling in my life as a Christian. You have God's bold, plain and irrefutable promises concerning salvation in 1st Corinthians 15:1-4, John 3:16; John 6:47, Romans 10:13 and Ephesians 2:8-9. There is absolutely no reason to feel saved. Again, the Bible does NOT teach us to try to feel. It is a foolish thing to do. The question ought to be—Am I saved or not, period? You are either saved or lost, and it has NOTHING to do with feelings!

Anybody who comes to God as a needy sinner, and receives Christ's sacrifice on the cross as payment for their sins, believing that Jesus died on the cross, was buried and physically resurrected from the dead three days later, is saved. It is that simple. That is grace. Nothing else is required. Grace is God giving us what we don't deserve. Mercy is God withholding from us what we do deserve. Someone said that G.R.A.C.E. is an acronym for: "God's Riches At Christ's Expense." Jesus paid for our sins with His precious blood. Eternal life is the gift of God, paid for by Christ.

I would NEVER take the liability of saying that you or anyone is saved, because only God and the person knows that. It sounds like you are saved, from what you have told me, but only you can make that determination based upon the inspired Bible. I strongly recommend that you read these three articles by Pastor Curtis Hutson (934-1995)...
  1. http://www.jesusisprecious.org/sermons/printed/curtis_hutson/determines_salvation.htm
  2. http://www.jesusisprecious.org/sermons/printed/curtis_hutson/simple_salvation.htm
  3. https://www.jesus-is-savior.com/BTP/Dr_Curtis_Hutson/salvation_crystal_clear.htm
  4. http://www.godlovespeople.com/sermons/curtis_hutson/clear_presentation_of_the_gospel.mp3
I have noticed in the past, that some people won't read the sermons and books that I send them, but then they keep worrying and asking questions. If they don't want to educate themselves, then they'll always fear the unknown. If you feed a man a fish, you have fed him for a day; but if you teach that man how to catch fish, you have fed him for a lifetime. I encourage you to study these sermons by Dr. Hutson, which are 100% doctrinally accurate. 
“And when it comes to salvation the only thing that counts with God today is the death of Jesus Christ the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world. If you are counting on anything other than Jesus Christ to take you to Heaven, then you are counting on something that God doesn't count. Won't you trust Christ today? If you are not absolutely sure that there was a time in your life when you knew you were a sinner and made a definite decision to trust Jesus Christ completely for salvation, then we urge you to trust Him now.”  [emphasis added] —'Salvation Crystal Clear,' by Pastor Curtis Hutson (1934-1995)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Is Backsliding?

Proverbs 14:14, “The backslider in heart shall be filled with his own ways: and a good man shall be satisfied from himself.” Do you know wha...