Saturday, April 11, 2020

Handling Depression As A Child Of God

James 4:8-10, “Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness. Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.”

There's a fine line between faith and foolishness! So often the so-called “experts tell us that there is something wrong with us if we feel down and depressed, but the Bible teaches us to afflict ourselves, be mournful, and have a heavy heart. Professor Know-It-All and Dr. Fat Bottom, tell us that having thoughts of being down on our self is a sign of mental illness. What saith the Scripture? Let's hear from some of God's mighty men of God...
Romans 7:24, “O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
Isaiah 6:5, Then said I, Woe is me!  for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts. ”
Luke 5:8, When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord.
1st Timothy 1:15, This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
It is normal for a humble Christian to think little of our self. I am a hell-deserving sinner! There is nothing good about me except the precious Lord Jesus Christ. 

The World Has It All Backwards

Furthermore, the world is always promoting the idea of being number one, and only thinking about one's self. For example: In 1986, Janet Jackson sang a very horrible song titled: 'WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY?' That is the sinful attitude of the selfish world. 2nd Timothy 3:2a, “For men shall be lovers of their own selves...What saith the Scripture? Philippians 2:3, “Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.” 

I just found a website for the purpose of this article called, 'POSITIVE PSYCHOLOGY,' teaching people: 'How To Increase One's Self Worth.' Personally, I wouldn't recommend wasting your time reading the article. The inspired Word of God (as I just quoted to you from Philippians 2:3) teaches something very different, to ESTEEM OTHERS BETTER THAN OURSELVES!!! Do you know why God commands us to do that my friend?; and this is such a beautiful truth—BECAUSE AS BELIEVERS OUR IDENTITY IS HIDDEN IN JESUS CHRIST!!! 
Colossians 3:1-3, “If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
The moment you were saved (born-again), you became HIDDEN WITH CHRIST IN GOD. Just as Christ died on the cross for your sins, the day you were saved you became DEAD TO SIN. 1st Peter 2:24, “Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.” The day we were saved, the curse of the law was forever removed, so that you and I could never again be condemned for our sins! When God sees us, He sees the imputed righteousness of Jesus instead of our sins, which are forever cleansed away! 

Our Identity As Believers Is Entirely In Jesus Christ

This is such an important truth to learn my fine non-feathered friend. That is why the Lord could say in Matthew 25:40b, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.Our life is hidden with Christ in God. We were ADOPTED by God as His child the moment we were saved (Romans 8:15). Jesus is God's only BEGOTTEN Son, but we are ADOPTED sons of God (John 1:12). Thus, and please don't miss this, our SELF WORTH is entirely based upon Jesus Christ; and not us, because WE ARE IN CHRIST!!! In other words, we're in this together! Whatever happens to us as believers, happens to Jesus as far as the Lord is concerned, because we belong to God. 1st Corinthians 6:20, “For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.” 

Having said that, I believe most depression is unnecessary. If we would learn to REST IN CHRIST as believers, the same way that we did to get saved, it would help us to let things go. I admit that I am not happy in life. I have suffered constant agonizing neck pain since 2004. My wife abandoned me in 2006 and I have lived a sad life of loneliness since. I lost my home. I lost most of my possessions. I lost my retirement. I lost most of my confidence as a man. I have much misery in my life, being in chronic neck pain all the time, surviving on a high dosage of opiod pain medications. But despite my hardships, loneliness, loss and sorrow; I have the joy of the Lord and peace like a river in my soul. I have unspeakable rejoicing in my blessed Savior (1st Peter 1:7-9), as I abide in the inspired Scriptures day and night (Psalms 1:1-3). Jesus is precious to me!!! 

I find great joy, peace and wisdom in Christ Himself. 1st Corinthians 1:30, “But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:” Truly, Jesus is all we really need to be content in life!!! 

Growing Your Ability To Handle Grace

One of my favorite preachers, Pastor Jeff Owens, delivered a helpful sermon called: 'Growing Your Ability To Handle Grace.' I took some of the following wisdom from his sermon. It is easy to become self-centered and self-absorbed when we get depressed. We want to run, hibernate and hide. It's normal to be there for a little while, but it's important that we don't stay there. Don't let prayer become your own personal pity party. Be right with people. A lot of people are depressed because they are wrong with people. I love what Pastor John K. Jenkins Sr. says: “HUMAN BEINGS JUST WANT TO BE LOVED... JUST LOVE THE HELL OUT OF THEM!” 

Most people must work their way out of depression. Stay busy! Work your way through it! Never despair, but if you do despair, keep on in despair. If everything falls apart, we have Jesus! The worst thing that will ever happen to us as Christians is down here on earth! Amen! Think about that! The unsaved world has nothing to look forward to. No wonder the world is so depressed! They have no Holy Spirit to turn to! That's why they run to the liquor, drugs and sexual immorality. I thank God that I am a born-again Christian!!! You can't stop a burden from landing on your head, but you don't have to let it build a nest there!!! Amen.
“Did you know that God uses hurtin' people? That's part of the reason why we have to hurt in this world, so we can help other people who hurt.” —Pastor Danny Castle, “KEEP ON PRAYING
1st Peter 5:10, “But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.” The following are some helpful truths from this Bible study by Dr. Owens:
  • “You are what you think. Control your thinking!”
  • “You'll do better in life if you keep your sin confessed.”
  • “Most people must work their way out of depression! Stay busy!”
  • “Remember, God's good all the time!”
  • “Want to have joy; want to be happy! Give it to God!”
When you feel yourself slipping into a depression, do these 7 things (from Brother Owen's outline):
  1. Trust in the Lord's goodness.
  2. Expect trouble. Don't be totally shocked when hardship comes your way.
  3. Control your thoughts.
  4. Want to be happy.
  5. Give it to God, it's His specialty.
  6. Get close to God.
  7. Stay busy doing good for God and doing good for others.
“Church is a place where people should be able to hurt out loud. And I should be there to put my arms around those who are willing to hurt out loud.” —Evangelist Les Ollila, from the MP3 sermon, “The Judgment Seat Of Christ.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dispensational Teaching Of The Bible Is A Bad Thing

Hebrews 13:9, “Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not ...