Thursday, March 26, 2020

Sweet Peace Can Only Come From Painful Sorrow

Psalms 30:5, For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.
I love that passage of Scriptureweeping endureth for the night, but joy cometh in the morning. It is true that we cannot be upstream until we've first been downstream. A hiker cannot climb a mountain until he has first been down in the valley. We cannot truly appreciate the beauty of a red rose without the presence of sharp thorns on the stem. It is the contrast in colors that makes for a striking painting, drawing, movie scene or sunset. 

Likewise, we need bad times in life to appreciate the good times. We need to know the awfulness of sin, and the curse that it brings; to truly grasp and appreciate the depth of God's love and mercy! One of my favorite sermons by Pastor Jack Hyles (1926-2001) is called: 'THE NECESSITY OF BACKSLIDING.' We need north to have south, and vise versa. The more that we suffer poor health as Christians in this temporary human body, the more sweeter God's promise becomes of giving us a new glorified body fashioned like unto the Lord's body in Heaven. Philippians 3:21, Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.I have suffered from radiculopathy and stenosis in my neck since 2004, which causes me chronic pain all the time. God's promise of a new body is so precious and sweet to me, which I think about continually. What a good God!!!

One of my favorite Bible verses is found in John 16:22, “And ye now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you. I have endured much sorrow in my lifetime. My wife of 18 years abandoned me in 2006, divorcing me. As a result, I lost my home, pets, retirement, most of my possessions, $64,000 in legal expenses, confidence, and half my mind. I have completely forgiven her, because vengeance belongs to God alone (Romans 12:19-21). I have lived a very lonely life since, never remarrying or having a girlfriend. I underwent two major neck surgeries, having no one by my side, recovering from surgery all alone. Only my Christian faith has sustained me, but it hasn't been easy. 

Humbly, God has used my traumatic suffering, incalculable loss and inexplicable pain to bless my website ministry—giving me a profound depth of understanding, genuine love for others, and spiritual insight into the Scriptures. Psalms 119:70, “It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes.” Pastor Jack Hyles preaches a wonderful sermon on this passage of Scripture, titled: 'WHY MAMA WAS SO SMART.' God uses our suffering and pain to develop our faith! 
1st Peter 1:7-9, “That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.”
I endure with constant physical pain (which feels like a horrible toothache in the bony area of the back of my neck), since 2004, which God uses to keep me humble. Philippians 2:3, “Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.” I love everybody, and as far as I'm concerned, I'm the biggest sinner I know. I judge no one. We are all needy sinners! 

Some web visitors have told me, that they are surprised how nice and friendly I am, thinking I would be a harsh person because of the perception my website preaching gave them. Dr. Hyles said he experienced the same thing with people, who were reluctant to counsel with him, thinking that he was the same way everywhere he went, as he was behind the church pulpit (aggressive). When you met Brother Hyles in person—he had a genuine concern for people, a warm southern charm, a great sense of humor, and was the greatest guy in the world (when he wasn't mad...lol). I love and miss Brother Hyles and I still pray for his family. 

I am both a fighting fundamentalist Baptist, and one of the friendliest people you'll ever meet. The farther the grandfather's clock pendulum swings one way, the farther it swings the other way! God made me a passionate man. That is why I will never own a gun, I don't trust myself with one. That is why I don't drink booze, I already know I would abuse it and get drunk. I am intense in my feelings, which shows in my website ministry. When I fall in love with a woman, I am already making marriage plans! I keep picking women that don't reciprocate my feelings. Perhaps one day I will find her, God willing. Whatever good has ever been accomplished through my earthly ministry labors, I give God all the credit, glory and praise, and take none for myself. I am just a redeemed sinner doing the best I can for the Lord with what He has entrusted to me! 

I love you with God's unconditional love dear reader, and helping you is my heart's great desire. 2nd Corinthians 3:2, “Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:” 1st Thessalonians  2:20, “For ye are our glory and joy.” And again we read in Galatians 4:19, “My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,” I want you to get saved (if you're not), and know 100% that your name is written in Heaven as God's redeemed child. I want you to have the 'unspeakable joy' that I do in Christ Jesus. I have been saved now for 40 years. There was a woeful time in my life many years ago, when I contemplated suicide and wanted to die, when life became worse than death; but God saw me through BY FAITH. The apostle Paul experienced the same dilemma in Asia...
2nd Corinthians 1:8-11, “For we would not, brethren, have you ignorant of our trouble which came to us in Asia, that we were pressed out of measure, above strength, insomuch that we despaired even of life: But we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God which raiseth the dead: Who delivered us from so great a death, and doth deliver: in whom we trust that he will yet deliver us; Ye also helping together by prayer for us, that for the gift bestowed upon us by the means of many persons thanks may be given by many on our behalf.” 
Faith is like film, it develops in the dark. Great peace can only come from great sorrow! 

“Life is too short not to spend it doing what God wants us to do.” —Pastor Jack Hyles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Those Little Awkward Moments in Life That Hurt Our Feelings

Psalms 139:1-6, “O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me. Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought a...