Sunday, October 30, 2022

Learn To Enjoy Wherever You Are At

1st Timothy 6:6-10, “But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.”

Pastor Jack Hyles (1926-2001) taught me that there are TWO WAYS to become rich:
  1. Have everything you want.
  2. Want everything you have.
Very few people can have everything they want, but anyone can want everything they have. One of my favorite MP3 sermons by Dr. Hyles is titled: “Learn To Enjoy Where You Are, While You're On Your Way To Where You Are Going.” I love that sermon!

If I had the money, I would love to live in Honolulu, Hawaii. I play Hawaiian lap steel guitar, ukulele and Slack Key Guitar (which is just a standard guitar tuned to special open tunings). I'd love to live and play my music in Hawaii. But I cannot afford $2,500 per month for rent! Hawaii is one of the most expensive places in the United States to live. I lived on the island of Guam for 17 years, but housing is very expensive there as well. When I left Guam in 2021 the average monthly rent was $1,700 per month. Anything cheaper and you're living in a sardine can, if you can even find a less expensive place to live. That is a main reason I left Guam. Also, my utilities each month on Guam cost $700 per month. Since electricity is produced by Diesel generators, the average monthly electric bill on Guam is about $500.

Anyway, if I wanted I could sit around and feel bad that I cannot live where I want. Since I also play Pedal Steel Guitar, mandolin, banjo, autoharp and Dobro, I would also love to live in Nashville, Tennessee, the music capital of the world. But the median home price in 2022 is at $498,000 and rent is super expensive. I just heard this week that the average rent in New York City is now at $3,500 per month. And the rent in Austin, Texas has skyrocketed 108% in just one year!!! The average monthly rent in Los Angeles is now $2,700. Most people simply cannot afford such an insane amount for rent!

I refuse to spend my life hoping, wishing and regretting things. I chose to move to Pensacola, where the cost of living is 14% below the national average. Pensacola is okay. I don't really like it here so far. But I am enjoying it while I am here, whether for a couple years or the rest of my life. Everything in life is a mindset. Life is so often what we choose to make it! These are the "perilous times" spoken of in 2nd Timothy 3:1-7. Now is not the time to sell out, quit or start complaining; but rather, to walk closely with our dear God and Savior (James 4:8), and to share the Gospel with others (Proverbs 11:30), and to guard our thinking (Proverbs 4:23).

Dear reader, BE OF GOOD CHEER!!! That is what Jesus said in John 16:33. In May of 2020, a General Social Survey found that only 14% of Americans say they are very happy. The poll found that Americans are the unhappiest today than they've been in 50 years! As former President Donald Trump points out in this campaign video, America has become the laughing stock of the world. We have lost our freedom of speech, which Americans once enjoyed a century ago. Only one viewpoint is allowed today!

I have learned to just make the best of a bad situation. The way you do it is to only focus on today, and not worry about the future. Go get you (or make one like I do) a delicious double-cheeseburger. I enjoy little things very much. I am not difficult to make happy. I love to make my own tasty tacos! Please don't live in the failures of the past dear reader. Let it go. LET GO, LET GOD!!! We cannot change the past, nor can we control the uncertain future, but we CAN be thankful toward God and live for Christ today!

I am very blessed of God and so are you dear friend. Your life may not be all that you wish it could be friend, but thank God for what you have. You and I are already rich because we live in America. I admit that I am frustrated much of the time. However, I REJOICE IN THE LORD!!! I rejoice continually that my name is written in Heaven (Luke 10:20). As believers we have UNSPEAKABLE JOY...
1st Peter 1:7-9, “That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.”
I cannot express in words the inexplicable joy in Christ that I feel continually, knowing that my name is written in Heaven. THANK YOU JESUS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why There Is No Love At Pensacola Christian College

Luke 7:40-47, “ And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on.  There was a certa...