Wednesday, December 2, 2020

As Christian Believers We Have An Expected End

Jeremiah 29:9-14, “For they prophesy falsely unto you in my name: I have not sent them, saith the LORD. For thus saith the LORD, That after seventy years be accomplished at Babylon I will visit you, and perform my good word toward you, in causing you to return to this place. For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. For they prophesy falsely unto you in my name: I have not sent them, saith the LORD. For thus saith the LORD, That after seventy years be accomplished at Babylon I will visit you, and perform my good word toward you, in causing you to return to this place.

I don't feel like I deserve all the kind words of praise that some web visitors bestow upon me, but they mean more than I can adequately express in words. I pass all the credit and praise on to the Lord, for Jesus alone is worthy. I look forward down the road to meeting all my web visitors in Heaven, especially those whom I have led to Jesus Christ. I am their spiritual father in a sense. That is why the Apostle Paul used used the phrase “little children when referring to his converts. 

We'll have plenty of time in eternity to get to know each other as brethren in Christ. The Bible says we will help reign with Christ during the Millennium (Revelation 20:6). We will have homes (John 14:1-3). We will have perfect immortal bodies (Philippians 3:21). No man will ever take away our joy again (John 16:22). Just as we have suffered with Christ, we will be glorified with Christ (Romans 8:17). What a wonderful expected end we have as Christians!

Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.” I think this refers to all the promises of God. We already know the future! Bible prophecy is history written in advance. God is allowing us to see the end before it has even begun! Isaiah 46:9-10, “Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me, Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:” We already know our expected end as God's redeemed saints.

The is one reason why God gave us the Old Testament, which is full of biographies of the saints. Romans 15:4, “For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.” By allowing us to see the lives of the Old Testament saints (before, during and after), we have the blessed privilege of studying their lives, in a way that can only be called miraculous! God did this so that we could FIND COMFORT IN THE SCRIPTURES! That is what we just read in Romans 15:4. I receive many emails from frustrated Christians, some even talking about wanting to die. I have been there dear friend! I know that horrible feeling, when death seems better than life. I've been going through the shadow of the valley of darkness for over 15 years now. But I have learned to run to the Scriptures, like a starving man running to food.

Let's read again Romans 15:4, “For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.” The Scriptures comfort our weary soul, and gives us hope of a better future, an expected end. Our text passage from Jeremiah 29:9-14 refers primarily to the return of the Jews after 70 years of captivity in Babylon. That would be like Americans being taken captive in China for 70 years, and then permitted to return home. Think about how strange that would feel? God encouraged His people that all would be well. God would keep and honor His promises to the Jews. That was their expected (or anticipated) end, the fulfillment of God's promises! 

Dear reader, I challenge you to become familiar with God's promises in the Bible. The POWER of God rests in the PROMISES of God. God is bound by His Word to honor His promises...
2nd Peter 1:2-4, “Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord, According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.”
It is through God's promise of the gift of eternal life by faith that we made the adopted sons of God (John 1:12-13; Romans 8:15). God promises to give the indwelling Holy Spirit (the Comforter) to all who believe (John 14:16). God promises never to leave nor forsake His own (Hebrews 13:5). God promises to direct our paths if we will acknowledge Him (by searching and taking heed to the Scriptures) in all our ways (Proverbs 3:5-7). 

God promises to hear our prayers if we are saved and trying to live right. Psalms 66:18, “If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me:That is why God ignored king Saul when he prayed. 1st Samuel 28:6, “And when Saul enquired of the LORD, the LORD answered him not, neither by dreams nor by Urim, nor by prophets.” God doesn't expect us to be perfect, but He does want us to try (Matthew 5:48), and He helps us (Philippians 2:13). Remember, you cannot live the Christian life, Jesus must live it through you, as you yield by faith in humble obedience to the Scriptures (2nd Corinthians 10:5-6; Galatians 2:2; James 4:10; 1st Peter 5:6). 

We have a wonderful expected end dear friend. WE ARE ON THE WINNING SIDE IN CHRIST JESUS!!! We may be defeated in some ways in this sinful world, but we are more than conquerors through our Lord, God and Savior Jesus Christ, Who loved us and gave Himself for us on the cross. Romans 8:37, “Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.Notice that we are not more than conquerors of our own accord, but THROUGH CHRIST! Always LOOK TO JESUS, Who is the Author and Finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2).

No comments:

Post a Comment

God Didn't Want To Go With The Hebrews

Exodus 33:1-3, “ And the LORD said unto Moses, Depart, and go up hence, thou and the people which thou hast brought up out of the land of Eg...