Saturday, October 31, 2020

For We Walk By Faith And Not By Sight

2nd Corinthians 5:5-8, “Now he that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, who also hath given unto us the earnest of the Spirit. Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord: (For we walk by faith, not by sight:) We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.”

I have received numerous emails from Christian web visitors who are frustrated with God, prayer and life. They complain that God doesn't answer their prayers. They say that it seems like God doesn't exist. Everything they do feels wrong, and they are on the verge of losing all hope and some even committing suicide. One woman told me that she wishes a bullet would come through her front window and kill her, because she hates her life so much. At least a dozen web visitors have confided in me over the past couple years that they have contemplated suicide. If that is you friend, please read:

Hebrews 12:2, “Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. I think of that verse often. People think negatively, so they are miserable. We have so much to praise God for!”

LOOKING UNTO JESUS, the Author and Finisher of our faith! I love that! Dear reader, where you look determines your mindset, and how you are going to view everything in life. If you watch the discouraging news each day, and listen to negative comments from your co-workers, friends and family, and then dwell upon the problems, needs and painful experiences from your past—you are going to be the most miserable creature! 

The following passage of Scripture is so important. It is obvious to me that all these Bible verses go together. Please notice first that the Apostle Paul teaches us to REJOICE IN THE LORD. He doesn't say to merely rejoice, but to “REJOICE IN THE LORD.” No matter how unhappy and miserable I may be, I can ALWAYS rejoice in the Lord for something. Paul even repeats himself to get the point across:

Philippians 4:4-9, “Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice. Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

The things that hinder us from rejoicing in the Lord ought to be committed unto prayer. So we are commanded to always rejoice in the Lord, and to commit anything and everything that hinders us from rejoicing in the Lord to God in prayer. And then the Apostle teaches us to guard our minds against negative self-destructive thinking. Once you start down that road of not rejoicing in the Lord ALWAYS, you are headed down a death spiral. The human mind can (and often does) become its own worst enemy. I am just as guilty of this. Where do you think I learned it from? But when I was sinking in despair, depression and hating my life, I LOOKED TO JESUS (the precious Author and Finisher of my faith). Where are you looking today?

Philippians 4:8 tells us to THINK ON THESE THINGS (i.e., things that are lovely, of good report, lovely, virtuous, things of praise and truth, et cetera). Americans are notoriously complainers. The news media is inherently accusatory and negative. Revelation 12:10b calls the Devil the accuser of the brethren. Satan is the god of this world, which explains why ungodly sinners accuse others. The Bible teaches that love covers all sins (Proverbs 10:12). Satan never lets anyone live down their past sins, failures and mistakes! As Christians we hopefully choose to walk a higher path in life, one of love and forgiveness toward others.

Having said that, my response to those who tell me how miserable their life is, and how they feel like God is ignoring them completely—I feel THE SAME WAY! But I choose to walk BY FAITH, not BY SIGHT. If I walk by sight, then I have plenty of reasons to be miserable and doubt God. But if I live by faith, then I know according to John 14:1-3 that I have a home waiting for me in Heaven. I know according to Philippians 3:21 that I have a new immortal body coming, fashioned like unto the Lord's miraculous resurrected body. I know according to Romans 8:32 that God is going to give meall things in eternity. I have a blessed inspired Book in the King James Bible full of promises from God, that I can claim and cling to in hope during life's difficulties, worries and miseries. LOOKING UNTO JESUS!

That is the difference between someone who lives a defeated life as a Christian, and someone who walks by faith! My God is able! By sight, I feel like God doesn't care about me; but by faith, I KNOW THAT HE DOES, because 1st Peter 5:7 says God cares! By sight, I feel like God has abandoned me; but by faith, I know God has promised never to leave nor forsake me in Hebrews 13:5. So everything comes down to whether we choose as believers to walk by sight or by faith. I must walk by faith, or else I know that I won't make it. I know of at least 6 Christians who have commit suicide during my lifetime. Life is never fair. Some people have it much worse than others, but God is fair. I share the same sentiments as Job, who rightly said: “Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him” (Job 13:15). Good for you Job, I am with you buddy! Job 19:25, For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: Jesus said in Mark 11:22b, “Have faith in God.”


2nd Corinthians 5:7, (For we walk by faith, not by sight:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Is Backsliding?

Proverbs 14:14, “The backslider in heart shall be filled with his own ways: and a good man shall be satisfied from himself.” Do you know wha...